Before proceeding, note that integrating with a Learning Management System (LMS) is not required when using zyBooks.
For these reasons, many instructors have happily used zyBooks without having to set up and maintain LMS integration. With that said, some instructors indeed desire or need LMS integration.
zyBooks supports the Learning Tools Interoperability specifications 1.1 and 1.3 and can be integrated as a Tool Provider (TP) in an LMS.
This method is single sign-on capable; the LMS provides the user account information, and the zyBooks site does not require further authentication (the user does not need to log on to zyBooks).
LTI 1.1 vs LTI 1.3
Both LTI 1.1 and LTI 1.3 specifications offer
- Easy setup
- Single-sign-on for instructors, ta's, and students
- Grade passback for students
The two main differences are
- LTI 1.1 can typically be set up by an instructor or an LMS admin while LTI 1.3 can typically only be set up by an LMS admin.
- LTI 1.3 requires less work for students in the long run.
Creating a 1.1 link to a zyBook requires the following items:
- The URL of the tool provider: https://lti.zybooks.com/v1/lti_provider
- An authentication secret: (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for institution-specific LTI credentials)
- An authentication key: (contact email@example.com for institution-specific LTI credentials
Creating a 1.3 link to a zyBook requires the following items:
- LMS domain
- LMS client ID and/or Deployment ID
We have in-depth guides for setting up both below
Please also be advised that LTI 1.1 has been deprecated by IMS Global so we highly recommend LTI 1.3
Linking to sections or assignments
Once the LTI 1.1/1.3 setup has been completed, verified zyBooks instructor accounts may create links through the LTI interface.
An instructor can only create web links to zyBooks where they are assigned as an instructor. Note that a zyBook must have been released through the zyBooks fulfillment process and be in your active zyBook library before it’s available for deep linking.
If you are using SSO please, provide the following instructions to your students:
Accessing your class zyBook: 1. Click on the zyBooks links in your learning management system.(Do not go to the zyBooks website and create a new account.) 2. Subscribe
To learn how to set up links, please follow along with the guide How to link a zyBook assignment/section/TOC to an LMS.
We also recommend the following related articles
As well as these student resources
- How do I get points for an assignment
- How to submit assignments to Moodle
- How to submit assignments to Canvas
- How to submit assignments to Blackboard
- How to submit assignments to D2L/Brightspace.